Lets Eat: Lima, Peru
Spending almost 1 month in Peru – I fell head over heels for their incredible cuisine with its right amount of spice and citrus blends!
Peruvian food is the next food to hit the mainstream food scene around the world.
Peruvian cuisine has 3 traditional staple foods: corn, potatos, and ajies (chilies). Peruvian ajiese (chili peppers) are not spicy but give both taste and color to dishes. As a major fishing nation, fish is abundant, and prepared with imagination. Meat varieties include alpaca, llama, ostrich, guinea pig, pork, and beef.
- 8000 species of potato are native to the Andes region of which over 99% of all cultivated potatoes worldwide are descendants of a subspecies of these.
So lets get to it! What are the traditional foods of Peru that you MUST try?
- Ceviche – raw fish/seafood marinated in lime juice and chilies.
- Aji de Gallina – boiled potatos and chicken smothered in spicy cheese sauce
- Papa Rellena - deep fried mashed potatoes stuffed with meat, eggs, and olives.
- Butifarras - sandwich of ham, onions, chili peppers, and lime
- Carapulca - stewed dish of pork and chicken, dried potatoes, red chilis, peanuts and cumin
- Cuy chactado - fried guinea pig
- Lomo Saltado - stir-fried beef
- Mazamorra Morada - purple maize in jelly form
- Arroz con Leche - Rice pudding
- Alfajores - soft cookies with Dulce de Leche between
- Picarones - pumpkin doughnuts
- Pisco Sour - cocktail containing pisco (Brandy), lemon or lime juice, egg whites, simple syrup, and bitters
- Chilcano - mixed drink made with ginger ale, pisco (Brandy), and lime juice
- Limonada - Lemonaid
- Inca Kola - a lemon verbena-flavored soft drink, with a sweet fruity flavor. BRIGHT Yellow in colour.
To help you enjoy the incredible assortment of Peruvian cuisine. Here is a list of restaurants in Lima, Peru:
- Papas y Camotes – Peruvian/Mexican Food (Calle Bugos 276, San Isidro) $$
- Las Mesitas - Home-style Peruvian cooking (Grau 341, Barranco) $$
- El Pez Amigo - Seafood Specialty (Av. La Paz 1640, Miraflores) $$$
- Los Vitrales de Gemma - Pasta and Seafood (Jr. Ucayali 332, El Centro) $$
$ = 0- 10 PEN | $$ = 10-25 PEN | $$$ = 25-50 PEN | $$$$ = 50+ PEN
There are many hole-in-the-wall restaurants in every neighbourhood just off the main streets. They serve amazing set meals, Appetizer/Main/Drink, for 2-5 PEN. These give you great a great lunch option at an incredibly affordable rate.
Peruvian food will be the next cuisine to his the mainstream market – it is simply too delicious not to!